I have an adoption question. It's a little complicated

My brother and his girlfriend at the time had a baby. When the baby was a year and a half the baby came to live with my husband and I and our children due to many different factors.  After taking care of the baby for about 6 months and talking with my brother and mother it was concluded that my brother and the baby's mom were not able, financially or mentally, to care for their baby and that we would work on adopting him. I filed for Guardianship and it was granted.
Now, I did all the guardianship myself, no lawyer. I sent out the paper work, I filled everything out and I paid all fees.
The child is now 6 1/2 and has been with us every single day sice he was brought to our house.

When I went to do the adoption,( with everyone on board and willing), again with no lawyer, everything was fine until it came to the mom being able to sign the TPR.
The mom lives in a group home and has a guardian of her own. Her guardian had stated that the mom cannot sign the TPR and I would have to file for Involuntary TPR.
This doesn't make any sense to me as the mom is willing letting us adopt the child . Everything has been explained to her, she understands what us adopting means. Why can't she sign the TPR or her guardian on her behalf?
I am trying to do this without hiring a lawyer and spending a lot of money when I could do it all myself and everyone is a willing participant.
So I guess my questions are:
Can the mom sign the TPR? Or can the guardian?
If neither can, do I have to do an involuntary TPR or is there another way to go about this?
We live in Wisconsin
Thank you very much!

Post a Comment

welcome to legal advice supports